The Weird and Wonderful World of Weddings - Record Breakers
Here are some wedding facts that go way above and beyond what is considered “average” for a wedding!
- Weighing a whopping 15,032 pounds (6.8 tons), the largest wedding cake ever was made by chefs at the Mohegan Sun Hotel and Casino in Uncasville,CT, and displayed for show in February 2004. The cake was about 600 times the weight of an average wedding cake!
- Minnie Munro from Australia is the oldest bride to marry. She was 102 years old when she married her boyfriend of 82 years.
- An engagement between a Mexican couple lasted for 67 years before they finally married in 1969.
- When bride Christa Rasanayagam married Arulanantham Suresh Joachim in 2003, they broke not one but two records - the most bridesmaids to one bride (79), and the most ushers to one groom (47).
- Temulji Nairman and Lady Nairman hold the record for the longest ever recorded marriage of 86 years. They were married at 5 years old.
- In 1993, over 30,000 guests attended a wedding in Jerusalem, making it the largest wedding attendance on record.
- Elton John once charged £2 million to secure him singing at a wedding.
- Approximately two billion people tuned in to see Prince William marry Kate Middleton on April 29th, 2011. It is the largest audience for a televised wedding ever.
comments powered by Disqus