How To Entertain Children At Your Wedding
Children can add a real sense of fun to your wedding, and many brides and grooms may like to have their own or guest’s children involved in their day. But, it’s worth remembering that even the most well behaved child can become disruptive when tired or bored. Here are ten tips to make sure your wedding is both child friendly and fun for everyone involved.
- Provide each child a goody bag containing items such as a puzzle, coloring book or some treats.
- At the reception have a ‘children’s table’ set to one side with crayons, pencils and paper, and ask all your young guests to draw a picture of the bride and groom. Not only will it keep the kids entertained but will also give the bride and groom a memento of the day.
- To help avoid cranky kids, make sure there is plenty of child-friendly food and natural fruit juice to hand at all times. Avoid artificial varieties, which will make already excited children even more hyper!
- Ask the photographer to take a picture of the bride and groom with all the children present. It will help to make the children feel special and important.
- Ask your DJ to play some children’s songs at the beginning of the evening – dancing should tire out any stubborn sleepers in no time!
- If you have invited a lot of children and your venue has plenty of outside space, take advantage by organising a treasure hunt or some outside games or crafts.
- A children’s entertainer can be a godsend for keeping the kids both engaged and entertained. Often magicians and caricaturists will double up as entertainers for younger guests too, so it may be worth enquiring about if you intend to hire one.
- During the meal it might be easier to have a children’s table set up with picnic or finger type food including chips and cocktail sausages, mini burgers or sandwiches – perhaps a teenage relative or a family friend could sit with them and supervise.
- If your guests include older children, consider setting up a small room with computer games, board games and a TV if possible.
- Make sure you involve children in dancing and games at your reception. They will love to feel important and as if they’re helping out on your special day!